10 Simple Ways to Secure Your New Home in Bootle
A burglary is attempted ever 40 Seconds in the UK with over 1 million every year!! Don't let for property become a victim. H2K Services have been securing properties for over 10 years, if you need help with any one of these or wish to book a property security review contact us today as tomorrow maybe too late!!
Secure your doors in Bootle! Don’t help a burglar stroll in through the front door (34% of them do!). Inspect all of your exterior doors to make sure the door frames are strong, the hinges are protected, and—if your door has a mail slot—that someone can’t reach through it to unlock the door. Here are the quick reinforcements we recommend to help you shore up these vital entryways.
- Install a deadbolt..
- Add a strike plate..
- Upgrade to smart locks..
- Add a fire proof mail bag to the rear of your front door
- Add a split spindle (You can only open the door with the key from the outside)
- Boost security with a video doorbell (with motion detection).
Lock the Windows in Bootle - Doors and windows are the most common entry points for burglars. Unfortunately, manufacturer latches on windows aren’t always effective—and sometimes they’re downright flimsy. If you don’t like the looks of your window latches, beef up security with locks or key-operated levers. But you don’t have to stop there. We have some other good ideas to help make your windows burglar-proof.
- Reinforce glass with window security film.
- Install window or glass break sensors.
- Add window bars, bolts and restrictors.
- Plant prickly bushes under first-floor windows (but be sure to keep them trimmed).
Light Up the Landscape in Bootle - Vandals, burglars, and other criminals don’t like to be in the spotlight. Keep bad folks at bay with ample outdoor lighting. Place lights around your front and back yards, along pathways, and near the garage and other outdoor structures. Not only will you make intruders skittish, you’ll also cut down your risk of a stumble on your way up the front steps. Make your outdoor security lights even more effective with these tips.
- Use motion-activated lights.
- Save energy with solar-powered lights.
- Put outdoor lights on a timer/photocell.
Don’t Forget the Garage - This entry point to your home is becoming more popular with criminals. And even if they can’t access your house, chances are you have plenty of good stuff stored in the garage. Make it a habit to lock all doors to the garage—both internally and externally. You may also consider keeping your garage door opener in the house. That way a burglar can’t grab it out of your car. And if you use a security code to open the garage, make sure you keep it secret and never enter it in front of delivery people, neighbours, or anyone else. Here are some more easy ways to secure the garage.
- Upgrade to a smart garage door opener.
- Cover windows internally to hide the goodies inside.
- Secure garage doors with extra locks (or even zip ties!).
- Use home automation—and never leave the garage door open again.
Install a Intruder Alarm in Bootle - Your new home should have some form of a security system, whether it’s a basic DIY system or one that installed professionally and monitored if needed and home automation. Today there are plenty of home security options for every budget and every level of protection. To choose a system that you’re comfortable with, evaluate the needs of your neighborhood and your house. You can contact your local police for neighbourhood crime statistics and ask us for help doing a home security evaluation of your home. And keep the below factors in mind as well:
- Customer service and brand reputation of the alarm system
- Smart home capabilities
- Upfront and monthly costs (if purchasing a monitored system)
- Extras like smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring
- DIY installation vs. professional installation
Eliminate Hiding Places - Trees and shrubs may give your house curb appeal, but they also give burglars a handy place to hide. Trim down trees and plants close to your home that could be used for cover. Opt for smaller flowers and bushes instead. If you have trees near windows, either remove them or reinforce those windows with extra security. And don’t neglect the rest of your home’s exterior—use these best practices to keep things locked up tight.
- Always put away stools and ladders.
- Lock gates, sheds, and other outdoor buildings.
- Don’t tempt thieves by leaving pricey goods on display in the yard.
- Add security signs and stickers.
Add CCTV Security Cameras in Bootle - You’ve probably seen headlines about burglars being foiled by security camera footage. This is one home security solution that works as both a deterrent and a means to get justice. You can get security cameras that are part of a complete home security system, or you can use cameras that work on their own. Whichever way you go, we recommend using a security camera with a mobile app, so you can see footage in real time and store it if you ever need to go to the police. Check out our other must-have features:
- Motion detection
- Night vision
- Wi-Fi capability
- Weatherproof casing
- Vandal proof/resistant
Get a Safe - In the event that someone gets by your other home security strategies, make sure that valuables are protected. An in-home safe is a secure depository for everything from jewelry to vital documents like passports. You want a safe that is fire-resistant, waterproof, and heavy enough that a thief can’t walk away with it. Follow these suggestions to get the most protection from your safe.
- Look for safes with redundant locks (that’s two locks on one safe).
- Select the right size safe for the valuables you want to protect.
- Decide if you want a portable safe or one that’s anchored.
Use Home Automation - If you’ve been tempted to turn your regular house into a smart home, security is one compelling reason to follow through. Home automation can give you remote (or scheduled) control of lights, locks, security cameras, smoke alarms, and other safety devices. You can get real-time alerts about suspicious activity, so you can respond quickly and thwart potential thieves. Here are some of our favorite ways to use home automation to increase security.
- Schedule lights (and your TV/fake TV Light) to turn on and off when you’re on vacation.
- Scare away porch pirates with two-way talk through a smart doorbell.
- Get an instant video feed whenever someone walks up your driveway.
- Check on a smoke or CO2 alarm and cancel false alarms from your smartphone.
Lock Down Your Wi-Fi Network - Your home wireless network is a doorway to your personal and financial information. And if you use home automation, it can also make your house vulnerable to a break-in. Use our tips and tricks to keep hackers off your home network.
- Secure your wireless router.
- Enable WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) or WPA2 encryption.
- Rename and hide your home network.
- Use a firewall.
- Install antivirus and anti-malware protection.
- Create strong passwords.
- Protect your kids with parental control software. - If you’ve got little ones, chances are they go online for both homework and fun. Keep them safe from online predators and cyber bullies with a parental control app, router, or software package. These tools can even help you limit screen time and enforce device-free family dinners.
Before you go
Figuring out how to secure your home doesn’t have to be a chore. Use these tips to get started. You don’t have to do everything at once. Identify which strategies are most important to you, and make a plan to add the rest later. Being aware of potential security risks and taking action early is the best way to keep your property, it's contents and your staff/loved ones safe. Remember H2K Services are here to help with all of the above. Click here to make contact
At H2K Services, you can be assured that all our services are carried out to the very highest standard.
We will always ensure that you receive a high quality service that is both safe and trustworthy.
We also provide quality reviews of all jobs undertaken, to ensure that they have been completed within an acceptable time frame and to the highest possible standards.
We know that you will be completely satisfied with our work so call us or get in touch to book an appointment.
We are fully Insured and DBS checked ✔.